Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Building my PLN

PLN, the new buzzword in education, stands for Personal Learning Network. I believe some might argue the P stands for Professional…whatever, "a rose by any other name…." Building my PLN became my focus this summer possibly by accident. I needed to complete a PLU (professional learning unit) to keep my administration certificate current, and I enrolled in an online course offered by
e-Learning for Educators in Alabama. This 6-week course is helping me explore the educational value of using Twitter, notification apps, podcasting, and blogging.

While exploring Twitter a couple of weeks ago I discovered Todd Nesloney's (@TechNinjaTodd) Summer Learning Series activities. He and some of his PLN are helping others of us learn more about how Twitter and other Web 2.0 tools can help us grow our own PLNs and allow us to promote our school to parents and the community.

The two of these are inadvertently working hand in hand to help me get more familiar with the tools and give me ideas for using them during the school year. My preliminary plans are to:

1. Blog about news, events, reminders, deadlines, etc. for parents.
2. Podcast info and details to teachers.
3. Tweet, using candid photos, when I visit classrooms.

If I accomplish these three I will feel successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment