Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Groceries or Paint? Groceries won.

(This post was actually begun on June 26 and I had planned to post that night. However, my macbook and internet connections had other ideas! So I finished it by adding the last pic and published it today.)

I am in the process of painting my youngest daughter's room (pics of this to follow soon) and it is taking me several days because I am painting over wallpaper for the first time ever. This morning I asked my daughter--who could have been starving from the choices she perceived as very poor to nonexistent when choosing her meals for the day--"Should I go shopping first, then paint, or paint first, then go shopping?" My daughter is smart and offered aloud what I was thinking, "Go shopping first because you'll probably get messy when you paint." She knows me too well.

So, I headed out. Two stores and two hours later I returned, and my sweet daughter helped me put the groceries away. Then I decided I better go ahead and cook one of the BOGO roasts I had picked up. So I went straight to the macbook, to Pinterest, and searched "roast recipes." Here's the one I chose:


And this is the recipe I chose: (#2 of 21--I didn't spend a lot of time looking 'cause I knew I needed to get the roast on fast!)


I'll admit I chose it because it had just a few ingredients and was quick to put together. Surely, having just come home from the grocery store would have the 6 ingredients needed…. WRONG! No cans of Cream of Mushroom soup! I always have cans of Cream of Mushroom soup. But not today.
Now what to do?

I had a can of Cream of CHICKEN-Mushroom soup (don't know how I ended up with that), a packet of Onion-Mushroom soup mix, half a packet of Onion soup mix, and a packet of Mushroom gravy mix. So I improvised.


I mixed the soup mixes, canned soup, and about half a can of water in the bottom of the slow cooker. The original recipe said not to add any liquid, but since I was using a lot of dry mix I thought, why not?


I added pepper and Cavenders' Greek Seasoning--L  U  V  it--to the meat and placed it on the "gravy."


And I put the cooker on LOW for 6 hours.


Now all I had to do was wait.

(Side note: I decided I would blog this meal since I am trying to form a habit of blogging more often. My daughter came in to the kitchen as I was taking the photos above and asked why I would do something like that. I explained how I had committed to myself to blog more, and that I had noticed others who blog their recipes include photos. I told you she was smart: she said, "Mom, I think it would be better to take a photo at the end. I don't think anyone wants to see what this looks like now!" I agree. But what can I do? I think the Blog Code requires it.)

Six hours later (the recipe said cook for 9-10 hours, but hey! my husband couldn't wait…and neither could I), it was done.
And here it is:


Don't worry, the roast didn't shrink. My hubby and son got to it before I could get a pic! And, if I do say myself…it was delicious! Not too salty and the gravy was perfect.
So…good. for. me.


No comments:

Post a Comment